Thursday, April 29, 2010

Design Inspiration: 3D Stenciling

When I was younger, I did my fair share of experimenting with stencils.  I did my first big stenciling project while I was in elementary school.  I decided to stencil flowers along the baseboards of the bedroom I shared with my younger sister.  I don't know where the idea came from, but I imagine that I saw it on some show on HGTV (which I usually chose to watch over Nickelodeon as a child).  I even experimented with using different colors to create shadows and depth.  I don't know if I ever finished the project, to be quite honest.  It was an awfully ambitious and time consuming thing for a child to complete, but my attempt definitely shows that you are who you are from the time you're a kid.  True to form, I always have a project in the works.

Recently, I was reintroduced to stenciling with a twist.  3D stenciling using plaster or putty can give a wall more interest and depth.  Here are some examples:





















Click here for some easy to follow instructions.

Since I'm a renter, I can't adorn my walls with 3D stencils since it's too permanent.  But, I do have some ideas about using this technique on my furniture.  I'll keep you posted!

Live Sweetly :)
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails